Ronald A Stearney, Sr.
Ronald A. Stearney, Sr. is a well known and respected litigator who has practiced in Chicago for almost 40 years. He has extensive civil and criminal trial experience having represented thousands of clients in his career. Mr. Stearney is a former member of the Illinois House of Representatives where he served as Chairman of the Judiciary Committee for four terms. As a State Representative, Mr. Stearney was involved in the drafting and formulation of many criminal laws and statutes impacting public safety. Before that, Stearney was chief counsel for the Department of Insurance from 1969-1972.
In his criminal defense practice, Mr. Stearney has defended over thousands of clients from driving under the influence to multiple murders in both state and federal court. Among other clients, Mr. Stearney defended the infamous Chicago burglar, “Pops” Panczko.
In his representation of his civil clients, Mr. Stearney has recovered millions of dollars on behalf of his clients. He is a prominent civil rights litigator who has frequently squared off against police departments in federal court. Mr. Stearney is known as an aggressive litigator who has one goal: to get the best result for his client.
Mr. Stearney is admitted to practice before the Illinois Supreme Court and the United States District Court for the Northern District if Illinois. Mr. Stearney is also an FAA licensed commercial pilot.
Ronald A Stearney, Jr.
In 2001 Ronald Stearney Jr. was selected by his peers as one of the top 40 attorneys under 40 in Illinois. In the award, opposing counsel described Ron as aggressive and zealous in his representation while judges praised him for his good judgment at trial.
This is what some have said about Ronald:
- “Ron is very knowledgeable in the area of civil rights law. He is a persuasive and competent advocate in the defense of civil rights matters.”
- “Ron has integrity and the ability and desire to listen to others before forming legal opinions and conclusions.”
- “Ron probably has more federal jury trial experience than anyone else in Chicago anywhere close to his age.”
- “Mr. Stearney is an exceptionally talented young attorney.”
Ron started in as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Illinois and quickly became known as a skilled and tenacious litigator handling multi-million dollar cases. Ron has argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and the Illinois Supreme Court. Ron also was selected by the Chief Judge of the Northern District to assist the court in drafting pattern civil rights jury instructions. Ron went on to assist in the drafting of the Seventh Circuit’s civil rights pattern jury instructions.
From cases involving horribly abused foster children to complex contract disputes, Ron provides the best representation possible. Ron is also an FAA licensed pilot for land, sea and multi-engine aircraft. Ron is a member of the American Trial Lawyers Association.
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial bar
- United States District Courts for the Central District of Illinois
- United States District Courts for the Western District of Wisconsin
- United States District Courts for the District of Colorado.
- Pattern Civil Jury Instructions for the Seventh Circuit
- Section 1983 Civil Rights
- Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Contributor, Antitrust Treatise